Pages

Sunday 30 September 2012

Last face, a new challenge and award


My last face number 29, phew! Was going to do an oil for today, but as I started the challenge with the intention of getting to grips with acrylic paints I thought I better do my last face in that medium. I still not hundred per cent happy using acrylics, but I have discovered a new technique that creates dreamy romantic paintings. I call it splatter! I paint the picture in a flat style then use layers and layers of splatters (Made by using very wet paint. You fill the brush with paint then flick the bristles and splatter!) It is hard to control but you can get some interesting effects.

I have really enjoyed the challenge even though at times I wondered what I was thinking when I signed up for it! I think next time I do something like this make I must be sure I don't have any big projects in the pipeline.

New Challenge!
Would you believe it I am setting up my own challenge, yes, you guessed it I am a workaholic! I have always wanted to keep a decent journal, but get distracted. So, October is Journal Month – I won't be able to do a page a day, but have intentions of doing at least 2 a week. There I am now committed!

Here is the first page with the scripture I am taking into the coming week. I have to admit that I have added some embellishments after I uploaded – yes the flowery things. Think I will be on the lookout for stamps now. Sigh, the collecting of art tools never stops. Hehehe. (Any tips for avoiding seriously buckled pages, would painting a layer of gesso help?)


I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead. Philippians 3:13 NLT

Have a great week creating lovely art and objects.

Linking with Sunday Sketches


PS - the Liebster award

Thank you Denthe ♥! This award involves sharing 11 things about myself, answering 11 questions posted by the giver, and then nominating 11 blogs. I am informed that this should be blogs with less than 200 followers.

The 11 Questions posted by Denthe

Do you collect things? And if so, what do you collect and why?
Old China, the art work on them just inspire awe. I would have trouble painting the motifs on paper let alone china. Also cats real and memorabilia! Why just love cats and their attitude.
What is your favorite city and why?
It has to be Paris. Whenever I have been there I have had the most amazing time.
What irritates you immensely?
Barking dogs, there is one next door and he drives me crazy, I like dogs, but this one is mean as. Jumped the fence and tried to eat my cat, big boy Ambrose. Need I say any more.
What do you love most about yourself?
Now thats a hard one. Probably that I am loyal to those I love
If you could change something about yourself, what would it be?
My Body? Not because it is ugly, but because it is broken and lame.
What do you really want to do before the end of the year?
Believe in myself as an artist, since blogging I am getting there. Get some chooks so that I can have my own eggs.
What is your favorite form of exercise??
Sitting on a sofa reading! Seriously, I used to be a lunatic trail runner and thought nothing of running up mountains and going for a 30 mile jog. It stuffed up my body big time.
What do you do when you're stressed?
Watch TV, read and eat and swear at the cats I do apologise to them later and they forgive and purr and slobber over me.
Are you a morning- or a nightperson?
A disgusting morning person, I been known to be up long before dawn.
What is the first thing you do when you get up in the morning?
Feed the cats and make my first cup of tea for the day.


11 things about myself
  1. I love cats - have three at present

  2. After a lifetime of wandering the globe, I have settled in NZ and love it. I am a Kiwi but left it at an early age and came back about12 years ago.

  3. I love my house,and its large garden, and hopefully some hens soon. Just got to convince my neighbour that they don't attract vermin!

  4. I am gloriously happy single and intend to stay that way. Had a long marriage that should have ended years before it did.
  1. I am very self–centred (selfish?). But then all committed artists are if they are honest, think of your partner or family sitting alone while you are creating. But because they love us or they know that we are hell on speed if we are not creating they put up with it!
  1. I love humour, and often see the funny side of things on the wrong occasions.
  1. People watcher – one of my favourite activities to to have coffee at cafes and watch the other customers and wonder about them – or it could be that I just like a decent latte.
  1. I am a paradox, I love my own company and people think of me as a loner, but I love people all sorts, and need to interact with them. Maybe it is my selfishness coming out - I only want people around me on my own terms
  1. I hate sitting and doing nothing.
  1. I love colour, and hate the current trend in Kiwiland for its obsession with black, black all the time. The world is depressing enough without having to wear mourning clothes. Ouch, some people are going to hate that!
  1. I am a very committed Christian, although I am not a fan of churches. Maybe because I have not found one that I think is honest.  Ouch again!!!!
11 Blogs - I hope none of these may have more than 200 followers, so in no particular order:

There are heaps more and if you want to nominate yourself feel free to do so!  just grab the button and go for it.

My 11 Questions for the above:
  1. What is your favourite flavour of ice cream?
  2. Are you a dog or cat person
  3. Who is your hero or heroine in the art world?
  4. If you had to spend a month on a deserted island what famous person you would like to accompany you.
  5. On this said island you were allowed only one song to play what would it be?
  6. What drives you crazy?
  7. What is your favourite colour?
  8. If you were allowed only one art medium what would it be?
  9. What do you like best autumn or spring?
  10. What is your favourite activity
  11. Do you like chooks (hens)
NB You don't have to take part, I won't be offended, as I know some people don't like this sort of stuff and I know it is time consuming. But I would love to read your answers! If you take part please ask your nominees 11 questions.

19 comments:

  1. great face! love the colours - loved reading re. questions~

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello,

    your faces are wonderful! congrats on completing 29 faces! me too.

    thank you for thinking of me with this award. lovely to learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completing 29 faces and for coming up with a new way to challenge yourself going forward! I love the dream-like colors and technique you used for the 29th face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh 29 faces that's a marathon. Love this one with all the soft pastel colours. Good luck with your next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great faces, I also enjoyed your honest answers. we have a lot of similar character traits....must be an artist thing! loved reading more about you!

    heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting face - and interesting technique you mentioned. Did these paint splatters also go on the face? Good luck on your journal. I just started on one this week also :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful face ~ love hearing the technique and results are excellent ~ Fun! ~ Journal page is great! ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your two portraits are really beautiful. I love the soft blending of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, LOVE reading your answers and the facts about yourself Sharon! And thanks so much for sharing the technique you used! I can't imagine how you can make such a beautiful face with splatters. Really have to try it some time. And good luck with the challenge you've set for yourself! ♥ denthe

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhh yes the pleasure of being done...congrats on 29 faces...now what will you do with all that extra time??

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great way to challenge yourself, with the splatters, and the portrait turned out good! I love the 2nd one too, my suggestion is to add gesso to both sides of the paper. thank you for nominating me! It was so interesting to read your answers...I couldn't agree more about the dogs barking. I'll try to have my answers by next Sunday. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely face, very expressive...looking upwards with hope, expectation! So admirable to set yourself a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new technique came out very nice, pretty colors! I count sitting on the couch and reading an exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh wow!!!! these are wonderful and I love your technique!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharon, your faces are beautiful! I LOVE the first one the most. Very well done. Love the emotions both of these paintings evoke.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the variety of the faces you've drawn/painted. Wonderful show of different techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on finishing all of your faces! Great job.
    Happy Journaling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a challenge, CONGRATS! I like your technique; the layers of paint really create atmosphere. I look forward to your new journal...

    ReplyDelete
  19. very nice that you were able to do 29 faces! I did that a while back and it is a task so congratulations to you!
    Very nice answers to the questions. I enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete