Pages

Sunday 20 January 2013

Cats and Girls



This is a first in a series of postcards I am making for the postcard swap at Artists in Blogland.  For this you do three postcards and send them to the addresses Marcia sends you and you get three back from different participants.  To register here.

This is a challenge for me as I don’t do small.  I did this in watercolour pencils with a bit of white acrylic to add texture to the background.  I added the bottom quote in Photoshop as when I had scanned it it looked empty at the bottom.  So it made me think that I will add quotes to the actual cards as well.

The prompt for Illustration Friday this week is MYTH.  In my endeavor to remain focused I remembered that I had an unfinished picture of a Nordic Cat in acrylic.  I dragged him out and finished him just like that. I painted Nordic runes on his coat so that’s the link to Myth.  I really do think that I am starting to get on top of acrylics now.

The story behind this painting comes from my cat Bro.  His original name was Ambrose and I was given him as he was being maltreated in his original home.  It took him a long time to settle down and he would go off for days at a time (he had been neutered, so it wasn’t that).  Then he suddenly stopped and I referred to his excursions as his OE’s (Overseas Experience, a ritual many young NZ and Aussies take part in.  For a couple of years they roam the world)  Well, being the storyteller that I am I made up a story about a young prince cat from a isolated island called Ambrosia, who goes out on his OE and visits cats from all over the world.  This picture is of the young Nordic prince he met in Scandinavia. 


Needless to say I never finished the story and this is the only picture I competed.  You can see why I need to focus.  My problem is that I have so many ideas chasing around in my head.
Have a wonderful week everyone.





12 comments:

  1. finish the story!!! We want to read it :)

    The nordic cat is a most noble-looking beast. Love him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely card and the Nordic Cat looks very hansom and interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the sound of that postcard swap. I like your poetry girl and the kitty looks like a wintery king, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did my comment post? I am curious. anyway, love the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are inspiring me to think of the postcard swap..but I have never made postcards before..hmm...time to think, I guess! The cat looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cat! Wow! and she is a cutie ~

    (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your art this week. I LOVE how you placed the lettering in her hair. I've seen this before and it has to be one of my favorite things others do. Yours is so lovely. And I just LOVE your Nordic myth cat. I just finished an entire class last semester on Mythology and Norse was my favorite. :)

    Happy SS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her eyes are pretty but nordic cat takes center stage wow so imaginative

    ReplyDelete
  9. What whimsical drawings...love the colors and the words in the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very neat! I love the colors in these, and the cat is wearing a mighty fine jacket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Nordic Cat, and I would love to see more of the mythic cats Bro met on his travels.

    ReplyDelete