Pages

Friday 15 March 2013

A Medley



Over the last 2 weeks, I have been away from home and have not had access to the internet or most of my art materials.  However, I still managed to do some art, as I had my laptop and watercolors and some pencils.
I painted these watercolours from photos of my garden
.





 Altered Book



I also took with me, a project that I have been working on - an altered book.  The book is For the Love of a Rose by Antonia Ridge.  A much loved Auntie visited me in Britain and saw my hedge of the Peace Rose in the front of my house.  When she got home she sent me her copy.  It is about how the Peace Rose came about, a love story of the rose and the love story within the two families involved. I saw a copy in a junk shop last year and thought then it would be good for an altered book project. So finally I have started on the project.  I have decided to redo the story in my words and my illustrations.



For the title page I pasted a photo of the peace rose cut out from the book and used the colours of the rose.


The next pages I did waterclour and pencil faces of the founders of the Meilland dynasty – the first love story.

A Dedication

The next project is very dear to my heart.  As some of you may know my mum has Alzheimer’s and she lives with my sister in Perth.  I feel helpless being so far away.  But there is one thing I can do for her and my family.  I have decided to make a book dedicated to her life.  I hope to have it finished so that I can give it to her and my sister when I visited next Christmas.  So over the last two weeks I took the opportunity to get stuck in.  The above is from a photo of her on her sixteenth birthday party.

I am now back in harness, and hope to spend next week working on journal pages and doing a painting I promised two weeks ago.  However, I am mindful of the old adage ‘the best laid plans of mice and men….’

Happy Paint Party Friday everyone.

23 comments:

  1. Happy PPF Sharon!

    AWESOME post! Adorable!
    xxx
    froebelsternchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful artworks

    Have a nice weekend and Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those watercolours of your flowers are fantastic! Love the strong colours! I think it's a great idea to make a book for your mother! It will be so nice to work on for yourself too, reliving all those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, those top paintings of flowers are stunning!!! The middle one reminds me of my childhood, as a neighbor had these in her garden and we kids liked to pop them! My heart goes out to you re mom with Alzheimer's ... Your book is a perfect idea and gift! To your family and to yourself as you will work through a lot of grief while making it and that will be healing for you. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous images to brighten my day especially your garden first three. Great strong colours and shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The watercolors are fantastic, really beautifully done and special! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely art projects Sharon! The book you're making is such a thoughtful and loving gift for your Mom. I know she will love it and it will be soothing to her. I have a friend with Alzheimer's and his family made him a photo book.Each time I visit he is so excited to show me the photos and is still able to reminisce a bit.Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flower paintings are really beautiful
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful paintings, Sharon, and the book should be a terrific gift of love. The photo could be a younger you. You look just like your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post and I love the project for your mother. HPPF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely paintings...and a truly marvelous idea to make the book for your mum. Perhaps the photo of herself will cause memories to surface...I'm sure she will be delighted...

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh Sharon your flower paintings are gorgeous and the Fushia looks so real. Loving your journal pages and I agree with Faye that the photo could have been you, you and your mother are so much alike. I know when you have completed this wonderful book you will all have moments to treasure for ever. Happy PPF, Annette x
    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous watercolors! Wow!
    And what a lovely tribute your book will be. So touching.
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a beautiful heartfelt post...made me a bit teary!! You are so prolific at watercolor...wow impressive stunning artwork...you truly are a gem!! I am so excited for you to do the book....I hope you make extra copies you can do it pretty cheap when they have sales.. I suspect your mom could wear it out looking at it..... You can do that online... I hope you will share some of those pages....beautiful lady your mom..I thought it was you at first!! I am so excited about this project!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful work this week Sharon, lovely gift for your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful!!!! Truly special and It's such a special tribute! Very special xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a perfect gift to you mom and your whole family. It will be a beautiful tribute to all of you. The flower watercolors are amazing -- I have so much trouble painting fuchsias, I'm glad to see how you did it. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh you have done a bit of work Sharon!!! I love the paintings very much :)
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! ~ you have been busy ~wonderful watercolors and great pages and What a lovely tribute to you Mom ~ blessings ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. That gift for your mum is such a wonderful loving idea. Your flowers are just lovely - I don't do watercolor well but I love the way it looks. (I do continue to work on it though and your flowers inspire me!) HPPF

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful flowers, oh if only we had those instead of snow... LOl

    I just popping over to let you know I have nominated you for the Liebster Award.

    head on over to my blog to see what its about, it's all in fun♥

    blessings,
    Cynthia♥

    Pop Over for a Visit

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your watercolor flowers! Especially the dropping pink bloom - it is so beautiful! Best wishes for your book - I know it will be a labor of love :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous art work and the book for your Mum is such a wonderful idea, it will make the perfect gift

    ReplyDelete