Pages

Sunday 23 June 2013

Dare to Dream


We all have Dreams, some we think are too difficult to attempt



One of the dreams I have is to illustrate my own children’s story book.  I have made halfhearted attempts in following that dream, but am easily discouraged by others comments and a deep rooted belief that I am not good enough.

I learnt a lesson this week.  I can do it.  I was being held back by my belief that I could not do the illustration well enough for publishing.  You see I sent my treasured story and illustrations off to the publishers.  I got news back they liked the story but they did not want coloured pencil illustrations, they wanted watercolours and a freer style.  I put the whole thing on the shelf as a ‘too hard to do’ item.  A week ago I got an email from them asking if I was going to do the illustrations in watercolour and if not could they get someone else to do them.
  That moved me.  I was not going to let someone else illustrate my baby.  I brooded for a few days.  It was Tracey Fletcher Kings comment on my Icad cards, about the quirkiness of them that set off a light bulb moment.  My story was quirky, and I have been doing watercolour stuff for Icad. Der!!  But then the gnomes had a field day.  “Yeah, but you are no good blah blah…”  “Excuse me!”  A voice chimed in, “what about your floral watercolours, you are good at that!” Yes I am, I thought, then it hit me the florals don’t matter to me, the illustration is very important to me, it is from my heart, and fear of failure is holding me back.

To cut the story short I got out one my favourite children’s book Wedding Birds by Jutta Ash, and drooled.  “Hey! My inner voice said why don’t you copy one of the pictures and see if you can.”  Well, I can, and even on crappy paper that I couldn’t work the paint and that buckled like crazy.


So the moral of this story is if there is something you want to do TRY IT. DON’T LISTEN TO THE GNOMES IN YOUR HEAD!
(And thank you Tracey)

(PS remember from next week I will be having a give away postcard with every post for Sunday Sketches and Paint Party Friday in July to celebrate my 1st year of blogging.)

Linking to
 Show and Tell Saturday at Artists in Blogland


17 comments:

  1. I believe God led me to read your post today, Sharon. I've been feeling exactly the way you are about venturing into some scary artsy terrains. Your words have inspired me to try, as has your beautiful wedding birds illustration. Congratulations on having the publisher accept your book for publication. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN to that....i totally hear discouraging voices too.....although i'm not sure they're little gnomes though....LOL....thank you for posting this encouraging reminder....

    You go and have oodles of fun creating pictures to go with your words....you can do it...

    blessings,
    Cynthia♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my! I think I found your blog at the perfect time!! I too have written a children's book and am on the happy pursuit of getting it published (I'm not an illustrator) so your words are very inspiring to me to keep plugging along, thank you and I can't wait to read your book! :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have persevered, you are very talented, believe in yourself always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tweet birds...inspiring story...CONGRATS on spreading your wings so you could fly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely illustration and inspiring post! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many thoughts, dear Sharon, and as the result this wonderful painting. Yes, I think too "dreaams come true" ! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh that is a wonderful dream Sharon, you go for it girl its the only way to make your dream come true. Of course you can do it, your brilliant. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMAZING dear Sharon! just AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shirley if you don't believe in yourself, remember, there are a lot of people around the net who do (me included)! Your art is so beautiful, sure you will manage this. Please let us know how the story is going to developed.

    Your wedding birds are really stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you, if you set your mind to it you can do it. I am pleased you are trying and I am looking forward to see more of your water colours!
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh how sweet are these Wedding Birds!!!! lovely work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spectacular post..beautiful inspiring words....shine on and keep shining!Super gorgeous art...I am so enchanted...stunning and vibrant and very special!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those gnomes try to trip us up but you've taken it power away and you will make beautiful art that is perfect for YOUR book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ms Sharon, I saw your blog from Ms Christine's.

    It's certainly difficult to disregard some negative thoughts especially when I know I'm weak in that area. But dwelling on those thoughts will not help me in any way, hahaha.

    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an inspiring post! Your painting is so lovely, you should definitely keep at it and get that book published - I wish you the best of luck! I'm going through something similar with trying to loosen up when drawing and experimenting with different mediums - and you are right, if there's something we want to do we should just go for it, and dismiss all the negative doubting voices!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so prodigiously talented and your pictures and artwork are/is always such an awesome surprise! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete